Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mmm, Biking!

I've been home since 20. December, and it's been pretty relaxing...a little too relaxing, but the one thing I love about the extra time on my hands is the opportunity to bike at Erwin Park in McKinney. Here's a pic of part of the trail:


Now that's beautiful! The trail is about an 8-mile loop that starts off fairly smooth, then gradually becomes pretty technical (sharp bends, biking over logs, going through really narrow passes between trees), then has a fun section of dips, and then a few sections of fields in between the wooded sections. This month I've been able to go at least once a week (and it's really nice being only literally 5 minutes from the park). I've taken my mom out there a few times and also had a date biking the trail. I went once by myself (and will probably do so tomorrow or Saturday) and loved it!

It feels good to be on a mountain bike and feel the cool air gently blow across your face and feel the rush of adrenaline as you pick up speed downhill and the exertion of climbing up hill. I love the feel of the camel pack rest on my back as I lean forward on my bike, focused on the trail ahead; the strain on my hands and arms as I maneuver my bike around the curves and roots of the trees on the path; the sound of the rustling leaves as they dance and sway in the wind; the rays of the sun that cut through the branches of the trees; the silence and peace that only come by leaving the busyness of the city; the simple insights on life that nature shares; the way that nature and the outdoors help me collect and organize my thoughts and shows me the proper perspectives in life...I could keep adding to the list, but I think you catch my drift.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

i feel like i just rode the trail myself. nice description. i need to get out of this cold, cold utah and get a good nature fix. (like there's no nature in utah, i know.)